Friday 12 December 2014

Blogmas Day 12 - My Winter Essentials

Hello my lovelies, who has got that Friday feeling? Today I'm back to my roots and writing another winter beauty post on things that I love during this festive time of year. It's a bit of a random mix form skin care, clothing and make-up but I hope you enjoy reading it.

1) Moisturiser


During the winter months I find it more and more important to moisturise my skin to avoid dry skin. I love the body butters from The Body Shop as they are super moisturising and easy to apply. The butters soak into your skin quickly so your not left there stuck for hours not being able to move otherwise everything you touch will be left sticky and gunky. For my face it will be no surprise to you all that I love the Simple Kind To Skin Hydrating Light Moisturiser. You can read my blog post on my simple skin care routine by clicking here. I have sensitive skin so I'm always cautious of trying new face products in the fear of turning out red, blotchy and spotty. This moisturiser is nice and light and it sinks into your skin quickly so perfect for the mornings when you're rushing to get ready before leaving for school, work or whatever you're up to. Simple is perfect for people with sensitive skin and I would highly, highly recommend them. When I find a product that I like I will stick to it like clockwork for as long as I can and then have a meltdown if they stop making that product.  Although saying that I have a sample of the Benefit Total Moisture Facial Cream that I'm excited to read as I've read great reviews on it.

2) Hand Cream


Similar to body moisturiser, during the winter I find it essential to keep a hand cream in my bag. I am currently obsessed with this hand cream in Glazed Apple from The Body Shop. It is a perfect hand cream size and it smells incredible. I love the smell, it reminds me of fresh apples mixed with sherbet . It saddens me that this range is only around for Christmas I still haven't got over the fact that they didm't bring back the Ginger range from last Christmas I was obsessed with it. This hand cream sinks into your skin so quickly, even faster than the body butters. I'm lucky in the fact I don't seem to suffer from dry skin but that might be because I soak my hands in hand cream, I don't know.

3) Lip balm


I can't stand having dry lips, I just find it painful and I'm always conscious of it which seems to make it worse. I am currently using the Carmex lip balm in cherry just because it tastes nice and it is super moisturising. It doesn't make your lips drier which some lip balms can as they have something in them which causes your lips to split, I don't know the science behind it I just know that Carmex is cheap and it does the job. Another common lip balm that I have seen beauty bloggers rave about is the Burts Been lip balms. I've never tried them but I think I might treat myself to one after I've finished with my Carmex one. Another useful lip product that I tend to use more in winter is my Lush lip scrub in mint. If I have dry lips then I use this to remove any dry skin and then I use my carmex lip balm afterwards leaving my lips soft. This is anther good routine to do before applying lipstick to make your lipstick appear smoother.

4) Red lipstick



I personally enjoy wearing red lipstick the most around Christmas. I think it's perfect for the party season and that it's very festive. My favourite one to wear in winter is one that I have gone on about loads on my blog recently, it's the Kiss Of Life by Kate Moss for Rimmel. It's a matte lipstick but you could apply a clear or red lip gloss over it if you're not a fan of matte lipstick or you just want something that bit extra for Christmas. As long as my lips aren't dry I'm a big fan of matte lipstick as I think it can look more subtle and flattering. I would highly recommend this formula of lipsticks and there is a whole range of red shades, I also love the cherry taste of the lipsticks - not something you should really look for in a lipstick but y'know. I want to check out the new L'Oreal Red lipstick collection this week which also look really nice.

5) Red Nail Polish


To go with red lipstick, I also think that red nail polish is perfect for the festive season. My favourite red nail polish is by Barry M in the shade Blood Orange. It's just that classic pillar box red, bright red shade. I think I will wear this on Christmas day with a silver glitter. Just writing this makes me want to go and re-paint my nails now. I love the formula of the gelly nail polishes, you don't need many coats and it dries super, super glossy. Barry M are really affordable and they have an amazing range of colours to chose from. I own way too many Barry M nail varnishes, not a healthy amount but they are an amazing quality and a good price. These also make great gifts for the festive season.

6) Candles


Moving onto bath products now, who can say that they don't like candles. They are so therapeutic and relaxing, every winter I get way too excited about lighting candles it's all I seem to talk about. My two current favourites at the moment are by Colony in Noel and Gold, Frankincense and Myrth. I have already got through a few of these bad boys but these are the last two which saddens me deeply. They just smell so festive like the smell of Christmas. They're not too sweet or spicy they're very gentle and perfect for me. I'm not a fan of overpowering candles so these are perfect for me.

7) Bath bombs



Nothing goes with a candle better then a bath bomb. When the weather is disgusting outside, all windy, rainy and cold theres nothing I like better than having a bath bomb with some candles. This year I have been loving bath bombs from Lush and Trinite Village. You can see my Lush Christmas haul by clicking here and my Trinite Village haul by clicking here. My over the top and massive collection will keep me going for months, probably until easter but I'm so chuffed with all my little gems. Both companies are very natural and affordable and goof for those of you with sensitive skin.

Moving onto clothing

8) Cosy pyjamas


I could quite happily live in my pyjamas all year round and in winter I pretty much do. I'm not a fan of being cold so in winter I'm all for my comfy clothes and warm layers I'm not that fussed really. I love warm cosy pyjamas and my current favourites are these bottoms from Next. They are super soft and cosy and I love the little robins. When it comes to pyjamas in winter, I love all those crazy festive prints.

9) Warm coats, leggings, jumpers and scarfs

When it comes to winter I am extremely fussy with coats, two years ago I wouldn't wear or buy one because I couldn't find one I liked, stupid I know. Although for the first time ever I have become obsessed with coats this year, I have quite a few in my collection now. One of my favourites is the green one in the picture above which was from New Look and my other one I brought at the end of last year which is a dark navy one similar design to the one above from Miss Selfridge. If I knew the names of them I would tell you but I don't think they still make those designs anymore - bad blogger.

During the day if I've persuaded myself to get dressed I will be wearing leggings and a jumper - guaranteed. I just find them so comfy to wear and during winter I'm a creature of habits and I like to be comfy, warm and cosy.

Now for those of you who know me well you will know that I have a small obsession with scarfs. I will even wear scarfs in the summer even if I'm boiling. At least in winter my scarf is actually having a purpose. My current favourite and latest edition to the family is a pink and cream tartan scarf from River Island which you can see by clicking here. Previously I haven't been one for tartan but I have been a bit obsessed with it this past Autumn/Winter I pretty much have something tartan for every type of clothing. This scarf is really soft and it keeps you nice and cosy.

I hope you enjoyed this post my lovelies. Let me know in the comments what your winter essentials are, thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...