Friday 18 December 2015

Blogmas Day 18 - Christmas Festivities In London



Hello my lovelies, who can believe it there is only one week to go until Christmas! *Squeals uncontrollably* I am so excited I feel just like a little six year old kid again. Me and my Mum decided to treat ourselves and go to London to see the Christmas lights. Neither of us have been to London at Christmas before so we thought why not. I guess we've avoided it before in fear of the manic crowds possessed because they've forgotten the cranberry sauce or a little robin to sit on top of their yule log. As expected it was crowded but it was so festive and feel good it didn't matter. 

After a very painful train journey - thank you Southern Rail. It was going so smoothly until the train decided to just stop in random places for 20 minute slots for no reason what's so ever. That journey should not have taken two hours. I don't know what the issue is. Before moving to Sussex I used to live an equal distance from London yet it would only take 40 minutes to get there, good old First Great Western. Anyway, in fear of sounding like a train freak we'll move on sharpish.

Both of us needed re-energising so we popped to Costa to continue our coffee mission. A very special lunch was needed for a special outing so we went for the drink that I have been longing to try for two years now! A white chocolate hot chocolate with cherry sauce - hello to you my friend. White chocolate is my favourite type of chocolate so this was pure heaven in a cup or tall glass we should say. This was accompanied by the white chocolate snowball which was incredible. Definitely a white chocolate kind of day. Shortbread, marshmallow, passion fruit, coconut and of course white chocolate - what's not to love? We also tried the 'Turkey and the Trimming's' cheese toastie for lunch which was gorgeous. It definitely set us up for our London adventures. 


Re-fuelled and reenergised we started exploring Covent Garden. It was decorated beautifully they had certainly gone to town. Giant Christmas trees, sleighs, mistletoe and lego trains filled the area with Christmas vibes. There was Christmas music, Christmas stalls and markets - one big Christmas extravaganza.







After exploring Covent Garden we started walking along Leicester Square and Piccadilly. The weather was so nice, it wasn't cold and the sky looked like snow even though it's 14 degrees in December it couldn't snow but it looked festive anyway. I prefer walking around London to getting the tube as I find you see so much more. Some of the shops had really splashed out on their decorations.






We had a nosy around a few shops. We first got very excited in Nespresso seeing all of the coffee machines and tasting areas. Both me and my Mum are coffee lovers and would love our own machine but there is so much choice it's hard to know where to start I find it mind boggling. We also popped into Fortnum and Mason. We couldn't afford to buy anything but there's no harm in looking. I know it sounds weird but I love a good old department store at Christmas it's so Christmasy and feel good. They had decorated the store beautifully and we both enjoyed people watching seeing people genuinely doing their Christmas shopping there. There were spinning bottles of gold glitter champagne, massive gingerbread houses costing over £100 and Christmas trees galore. I won't lie but they also have really nice toilets so a quick loo break was very much appreciated and enjoyed. Mum has never been to Selfridges before so I introduced her to that. For those of you who don't know, Selfridges is a massive department store with loads of luxury shops together. Imagine walking along the highstreet with designer shops yet you don't leave the building. Selfridges was absolutely heaving so we did a quick sweep and scuttled out feeling slightly flustered. I love looking around properly when it's not so busy and a week before Christmas.




Neither of us have been to Winter Wonderland before and it was one of the reasons for going to London. The scale was incredible it pretty much filled Hyde Park and that is a hell of a lot of space to fill. To be honest it properly wasn't what I was expecting however I am still so pleased that we got the opportunity to go. In my head I thought there would be more traditional cute and quirky Christmas markets however a lot of the market stalls were exactly the same just jotted around the park. It was a bit more theme park then I was expecting and I've never been one for fast rides so that didn't really appeal. It was really nice to look around and see so much Christmas enjoyment in peoples faces. It must have taken days and days to construct as they had certainly made a huge effort with the decoration. It's a great place to visit with children for a family outing.





We were going to go out for dinner but to be honest we were both shattered so we came back early, this time on a smelly Southern Rail train and a had a cosy Christmasy night in watching Nativitity 3. I do love a Christmas film.

I hope you're all feeling excited for Christmas and that you're plans are coming together, not long to go now my lovelies!

XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...