Wednesday 7 October 2015

Weekend In Paris


Bonjour mon lovelies! 
Last weekend (02/10/15 - 05/10/15) I felt very treated and spoiled as I spent a long weekend in Paris avec my Mum. It was a gorgeous holiday which I feel very blessed to be able to go on. We haven't had a holiday for two years and we couldn't really plan anything with relocating and moving house so as soon as that was complete we were free again to plan adventures. It was also a very special birthday for my Mum this year so it was the perfect way to celebrate. I was also so glad to be able to see Paris in the Autumn as it was just plain and simply beautiful and we were so, so lucky with the weather. No rain just pure blue skies and sunshine with the Autumn reds, oranges and golds leaving the city that never sleeps looking stunning. I thought I would write a blog post to share some of the amazing things I saw of which I'll include as an outfit of the day post so you can see what I wore each day. 

What I wore day one:
Jumper - New Look
Black Vest Top - Next
Leather Jacket - New Look
Jeans - New Look
Shoes - Miss Selfridge
Bag - Topshop
Nails - Lychee by Barry M 

Our adventure began a little on the early side at 5am ready to head to the local train station to catch a train to Ashford International ready to hop on the Eurostar. After arriving in Ashford we had just over an hour to kill and we were both starving so we started the day with breakfast at the train station and a nice strong cappuccino. We hopped on the Eurostar at Ashford and hopped off in Paris where we were welcomed by warm beautiful sunshine. We dumped our bags at our hotel which was near the Gare de L'Est station and headed towards the River Seine. We were now starving again so stopped off for lunch at a little French cafe Le Cavalier Bleu where we treated ourselves to mozzarella, tomato, ham and pesto toasties which were mahousive but filled a big gap. Any cafe which brings you free biscuits with the bill is a good one in my eyes. 

We carried on walking down to the river where we also saw some cute French shops and markets. We discovered a chocolate and pistachio shop which was amazing as it was filled full of chocolate, pistachios and marzipan so whats not to love. We received a few compliments in the shop and like a pair of giggly school girls we walked out without our goodies - first embarrassing moment of the trip. We also discovered the Notre Dame Cathedral which was stunning and on it's own separate island, we did want to go in but there was a service going on and the crowds were heaving and after a long morning travelling a gentle stroll next to the river sounded perfect. 

I was so glad we had good weather as it meant you can walk outside and you definitely see more by walking rather then the metro. One of the things being river boat gardens which were gorgeous and very peaceful to sit in and watch the world go by. You also get to see more sights such as the Musee du Louvre or the Concord which just inspired us for the rest of the trip. 

What could be a more perfect way to end our first day in Paris then a trip up the Eiffel Tower? That was the main thing on our Paris bucket list so it was the perfect way to end our first day. The Eiffel Tower is surrounded by beautiful gardens and it is really nice to discover 'green' areas in the city which are so calm and peaceful, similar to my ever loved London parks I guess. We walked up the tower to the first floor which leaves you with stunning views of the city where you can see across the whole of Paris which is simply breathtaking taking in the landmarks. It also puts a calmer perspective on the city. One floor was definitely high enough for us as neither of us are that keen on heights. I felt very lucky to see Paris from the tower in daylight but it was more dusk when we got there which is my favourite time of the day. We were part of the last group to go up the tower so it was quiet up the tower which added to the peacefulness as there was space to take in the views and enjoy it. 

For dinner we found another French cafe where I plumped for traditional French Onion Soup which I've never tried before and I felt like it's something you just have to try in Paris. It was delicious but it also came with cheese on toast in the soup and a side bowl of bread. I don't usually eat that much bread so I was feeling a little on the bloated side to the point where I've only just been able to eat bread again yesterday. Don't get me wrong French bread is gorgeous but I can't live on just bread, I do love my fruit and veg I won't lie. We were both shattered so we got the metro back to the hotel room which was nice and easy to understand; just like the London underground. Both of us were barely able to function when we got back as it had been such a long day so we just crawled into bed. 





What I wore day two:
Shirt - Topshop
Black Vest Top - Next
Skirt - H&M
Tights - M&S
Trainers - Converse
Bag - Topshop
Nails - Lychee by Barry M 

Day Two was another stunning day in Paris - blue skies and warm sunshine. We headed out for breakfast via the metro, got a little confused and ended up walking in the wrong direction back to the hotel. Clever. Undefeated we turned around and headed back the other way to find a cafe. After fuel replenishment we stumbled across Sephora which excited me immensely as stupid me thought they only had stores in America - wrong. Goodies and treats were added to baskets and I am now planning a haul post so you can do the maths as to what happened there. 

Fuel break was needed where we found an adorable vegetarian cafe called Cojean. I believe they only have stores in Paris but I would be very grateful if they chose to branch out to the UK thank you kindly to you thank you very much so. Coffee, smoothies and cake were highly indulged on and we picked up a couple of salads for lunch (no bread - yay) which we thought we could demolish in one of the gorgeous Paris parks/gardens. 

The cafe was next to the Musee Du Louvre which is home to the Mona Lisa. The museum is massive it's hard to describe just how big it is or even put it into words. the architecture is stunning and must  see if ever in Paris. We strolled around the museum and the gardens where we had a picnic which was gorgeous. 

After lunch we strolled along the river again where we walked past the Musee d'Orsay, there are so many art galleries in Paris I felt very cultured. When I was in Primary School I studied Monet's waterlilly paintings so it only seemed fitting to pop to the Musee de L'Orangerie which is home to his waterlilly paintings hidden amongst the Jardin des Tuileries. This museum was so much quieter then the Louvre, hidden amongst orange trees it is a must see as you don't have to spend hours and hours and hours queuing to get into a building where you can hardly move to see a small cm of the mona lisa as you duck and dive throughout the crowds. The paintings were gorgeous and I'm not usually one for art galleries myself but I really enjoyed it. There is something very calming about seeing rooms full of waterlillies. 

Determined to discover Laduree - a famous French macaron shop we finally discovered one where we picked up a couple of macarons for pudding. I plumped for coconut as I have my strong obsession going on and Mum chose a blackcurrant. Again after a long day exploring we were both shattered so we headed back to the hotel via the metro. We treated ourselves to a couple of Iced Coffees, picked up some pasta for dinner, showered, and had a girly night in with face packs. Perfect!









What I wore day three:
Jumper - H&M
Black vest top - Next
Jeans - New Look
Trainers - Converse
Scarf - Boohoo
Bag - Topshop
Nails - Lychee By Barry M 

Day three again was welcomed by gorgeous sunshine - heaven. We popped out for breakfast again to a cafe near the opera house where we discovered a French fun run as you do. Sunday morning saw us discover a different area of Paris called Montmatre which is almost like a separate village/community within Paris. To get there you walk up a whole lotta steps through gorgeous French streets. I loved the French buildings which were tall and white with gorgeous shutters and balconies. Montmatre is home to the Sacre-Coeur - a famous domed church which you can walk up to see some stunning views of Paris which reach beyond the Eiffel Tower. 

The first thing we did was get our caricatures done which was an amazing experience. We wanted to get these done as Montmatre is famous for them and their art. I thought mine made me look like an alien with central features and a large forehead but I suppose I do have a large forehead. I thought my Mum's looked just like her but I think it's easier to see similarities on other people rather than yourself as you never really truly know what you look like. They picked up that I had my Dads eyes so they definitely put a lot of detail into the drawings. I would highly recommend you get yours done if you ever get the opportunity to. 

Next we looked around the Sacre-Coeur which was simply breathtaking. Pure chance we went in during the Sunday service. Totally unplanned but I feel so lucky that it happened. There were singing nuns and the priest was waving incense sticks. Totally calming. We both lit a candle each and took in the statues and the experience. Paris seemed so calm, quiet and still for the first time. I can't put into words how peaceful it felt. 

For lunch we stopped off at a French Cafe for a coffee fix and to try some traditional French Crepes. We shared a savoury and a sweet to try one of each and they were gorgeous and so light. After lunch we walked around all the market stalls and the French shops where we picked up a few goodies. Montmatre had a very different feel to the centre of Paris it was very quirky and in it's own separate world on top of a hill. Packed full of small hidden and cobbled streets it was hard not to miss anything. Gifts were purchased and chocolate shops were discovered and indulged on. I won't say no to a free sample. One chocolate shop had amazing statues made out of chocolate, it was a chocolate lovers heaven. Whilst looking around we picked up another two macarons each for pudding later which has seemed to turn into our little tradition each day. This time I went for Pineapple and Mum went for Earl Grey Tea, we were trying new flavours that we hadn't seen or tried in the UK before. 

We also discovered another small cute church the opposite side to the Sacre-Coeur which was similar to an undiscovered gem. Tucked away from the crowds. Again it was very calming to walk around and we lit another candle. A very spiritual day. It was definitely a good idea to see the Sacre-Coeur early on as the crowds built up very quickly in the afternoon so we timed that well. 

To finish our day in Montmatre we walked up the dome of the Sacre-Coeur where the views again are just breathtaking. Similar to when we walked up the Eiffel Tower you can look out over the whole of Paris and beyond from the other direction. Unfortunately the skies weren't as clear that day but you could still see for miles and miles. As we headed back to the metro we walked through some beautiful gardens above the Square Louise Michel. To finish the day we thought it would be nice to walk along the River Seine in the opposite direction, this time East to see what we had missed. We discovered some more beautiful parks and gardens which looked really pretty in the dusk light. There also happened to be some filming going on which featured actors in period costumes alongside old cars driving around the centre of Paris which isn't something you see everyday. 

We headed back for a cosy night in with pyjamas and salads. I don't know how we managed to fit so much into our day yet nothing was rushed. An early night seemed a good idea before our journey back the next day. 









What I wore Day Four:
Jumper - Next
Jacket - New Look
Scarf - Boohoo
Jeans - Miss Selfridge 
Boots - New Look 
Bag - Topshop
Nails - Lychee by Barry M

Monday - our last day can only be described as a food orientated day. It was another early start to pack our cases ready to pick up later as our train was just after 3 in the afternoon but we got to the station soon after 12. Once packed we popped on the metro to see the Opera House which looked really pretty lit up amongst the early morning darkness. I was so glad to be able to see it looking so pretty and when the city was quiet. We stopped off for breakfast at a local cafe before hitting the shops. We knew that we wouldn't have much time on Monday so we saved that for shopping. Mum needed to send postcards and get stamps and we had a few gifts still to purchase for friends and family. The area just so happened to be the Paris equivalent to Mayfair in London. Full of designer shops such as Gucci, Chloe and Girogio Armani. I won't lie but we felt so posh and sophisticated I really enjoyed it. 

A lot of the time was spent staring into windows and seeing all of the gorgeous French patisseries. Paris definelty knows how to make good cakes i'll give them that. We stumbled across Laduree again - what a shame. So we thought sod it we'll treat ourselves to a small box of macarons as it's not something we would do back home. Again going for new tastes I went for Blackcurrant, Maple Syrup and Pecan Vanilla whilst Mum chose Raspberry, Marie-Antoniette Tea and Salted caramel. So far we have been treating ourselves to one a night since we got back and tonight's our last night which saddens me immensely. They are so special you just have to savour each and every one of them. 

My Aunty went to Paris the previous year where they discovered an amazing chocolate shop called Angelina. This shop is pure sophistication and indulgence worthy. I'm just going to throw this out there that they do the best hot chocolate in the world. Yeah bold statement I know but I've said it and it's out there and if you don't believe me head over to Paris and try it for yourselves. We were the same thinking it can't be that amazing but oh me oh my it is. It's like drinking liquid chocolate - no milk, water or cream just pure chocolate. This sounds way too sickly sweet but it isn't. The room you sit in is just stunning and you are served with beautiful small cups and individual pots of cream to add if you choose to do so. The hot chocolate is then delivered to you in a jug so you can indulge in as ever much that you want to. The breakfasts they served also looked adorable all in miniature form. Mini croissants, mini pain au raisins or mini poached eggs the list is endless. The toilets were even stunning and I won't say that Paris is famous for nice toilets but they were something else. I felt as though we should have been wearing period dresses and waving fans. That says a lot about the quality of public loos in Paris when you get excited about a toilet on your last day. 

Shopped till we dropped, we headed back to our hotel room to pick up our cases and back to Gare du Nord ready for the train home. I love a bit of people watching, does anyone else? We spent a while watching the trains arriving and leaving before picking up some pasta salads for lunch where I received a marriage proposal which was a first. A long time was spent having a wonder and the odd splurge in duty free before catching the train back to Ashford and another train home. Just as we left Paris it started to rain which seemed a fitting way to end our holiday as the weather had been perfect for our entire stay. 







I absolutely loved Paris. I had never been before only whilst my Mum was 6 months pregnant with me but that doesn't really count. It was the perfect weekend and the best way to celebrate my Mum's special birthday. A girly weekend away with a whole lot of mother and daughter time in a beautiful city what more could you ask for? I feel very spoiled so thank you so much Mum and for everything you do and have done for me - I love you loads!

XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...