Friday 23 October 2015

Chocolate And Honeycomb Refrigerator Cake









I would suggest that non-chocolate lovers just skip this post as it is designed especially for fellow chocolate lovers. This is a highly indulgent chocolate treat that I got just as much pleasure from baking it to eating it. I say 'baking' it, there isn't actually any baking involved that's the beauty of refrigerator cakes. For individuals who struggle with baking this is the perfect type of cake to make as it is so easy. All the skills that are required are a bit of chopping, stirring, pouring and of course eating. This is another take on the ultimate classic rocky road which you cannot beat in my eyes. This is very similar just with a bit of variation on the biscuits, fruit and nuts and with the edition of honeycomb over marshmallows. The principle in making the cake is still the same: chop your ingredients, melt the chocolate, stir it all up and as the name suggests refrigerate the cake for a couple of hours.

I don't know why I found this such a satisfying cake to make. I find it very therapeutic breaking up chocolate bars I mean the smell you get when you open a fresh bar is just gorgeous. I also love melting the chocolate and just stirring the ingredients all together. I know I probably sound a bit psycho to some of you right now but I'm sure I'm not alone, someone please back me up on this one. I know I'm going to over use the word 'satisfying' in this post, let's play a little game and see how many times I mention it.

This is the perfect indulgent treat to enjoy over Autumn/Winter when it's cold and yucky outside and you're tucked up in your warm house with your pyjamas on, films, blankets and candles - pure bliss.

Ingredients - serves 12

200g dark chocolate (I used 70%)
50g salted butter
4 tbsp golden syrup
150g all butter shortbread fingers
100g macadamia nuts
45g honeycomb
150g glace cherries (I used French morello cherries as I prefer the taste to the usual cherries as I find them less artificial but any type would do)
100g honeycomb chocolate bar (I used Galaxy honeycomb but you could also use a bar of Cadbury's Crunchie as Cadbury's is my favourite type of chocolate)

Method

The main element of this chocolate treat is the preparation with all your chopping and measuring then it's just a bung it all together kind of bake.

1) First line and grease a baking tray with grease proof paper

2) Start by weighing and chopping the non-heated elements which include: macadamia nuts, honeycomb, the glace cherries and the shortbread and place these in a large bowl. The size at which you cut these is entirely up to you but it doesn't have to be perfect and symmetrical. In fact the more variation the better. I found macadamia nuts already cut into halves which was the perfect size for me so they went in whole along with the honeycomb which saved a lot of time

3) Next break up the 200g of dark chocolate into a saucepan - I find breaking up chocolate bars way too satisfying

4) Add the butter and golden syrup and heat over a gentle heat whilst stirring occasionally. I also added the left over glace cherry juice to enhance the cherry flavour throughout the chocolate. Once smooth, glossy and all combined remove the pan from the heat

5) Pour the melted chocolate mixture into your large mixing bowl and stir all of the ingredients together - again highly satisfying

6) Transfer your mixture into your baking tray and flatten evenly pressing down with a wooden spoon so the mixture reaches all of the corners

7) Break up your honeycomb chocolate bar into chunks and randomly press chunks into the tray. I stirred mine into the mixture before pouring the mixture into the tray. This gave a really pretty marbled effect as it melted some of the chocolate but I think next time I would add it after pouring the mixture into the tray leaving you with chocolate chunks running throughout the mixture

8) Place the cake in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours and once ready to serve cut the cake into 12 portions

Then simply indulge and pray thank you to the chocolate God's. You could enjoy this on it's own or if you wanted to go all out you could enjoy it alongside some chocolate, vanilla, caramel or honeycomb flavoured ice-cream. Heaven! It is really quick and easy to make and the perfect pick-me-up if you are in need of a little bit of comfort. Let me know in the comments if you chose to give this a whirl. Thank you for reading my lovelies.

XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...