Monday 12 October 2015

Blackberry Jam Tarts





Hello my lovelies, yesterday I had the perfect morning baking a Blackberry and Pear Frangipane tart with my Mum. You can find the recipe on my blog by clicking here. I can't think of anything better then baking on a Sunday, pure bliss. I find baking a real enjoyment, along with my blog it is my hobby. If I could spend all day everyday blogging and baking I would be a happy bunny. I love baking with my Mum. We used to bake all the time when I was little but now our only chance to bake together is at the weekend so we're trying to make it a regular thing to do every Sunday morning.

After making our tart we had some left over pastry so the obvious solution was Jam tarts. We are officially the Queen's of Hearts. When I was little we always used to make jam tarts it was our signature thing. We would make a combination of different flavours ranging from strawberry, raspberry and apricot. I always thing jam tarts look really fun and colourful yet whilst making these we were thinking it must be years and years since we last ate a jam tart let alone make one. The scary thing is that it was probably around 14 - 15 years ago. Where does the time go?

So we thought it would only be fitting and tradition to knock up a batch of jam tarts. Sticking with the Autumnal theme of the Blackberry and Pear frangipane tart we made a batch of blackberry jam tarts using left over blackberry jelly. The good thing about using a jelly rather then a jam is that there is no pips or bits of fruit as I personally think a jam tart should have a smooth filling but that's just personal preference. This is just a simple recipe for a jam tart but you could chose any flavour that you want. I've included the recipe I used for the pastry but you could easily use a shop brought shortcrust pastry if you don't have time to make your own and it will work just as well but I personally think you can't beat homemade. Especially as I find making pastry very therapeutic and this recipe is so easy to make.

Ingredients

125g unsalted butter
250g plain flour
1 egg

This is the recipe for pastry that I used for my frangipane tart for a generic shortcrust pastry. I have no idea how many jam tarts this will make sorry to be so vague but pastry goes a long way so I recon this would make a lot of jam tarts, 25 - 30 maybe? Helpful Ellie, really Helpful. 

blackberry jelly

I haven't included a quantity of jelly as it will vary depending on how many jam tarts you make but I used 2 small tsp of jelly per jam tart if thats any use. As mentioned you could use any flavour jam or jelly that you wish depending on what tickles your fancy or what you might have at the back of your cupboard/fridge. 

Method 

1) To make your pastry you need to form breadcrumbs by rubbing the butter and flour together in-between your fingers in a large mixing bowl. Take time and pleasure from making your breadcrumbs it's very therapeutic, you shouldn't rush pastry

2) In a separate bowl beat your egg using a fork

3) Add your egg to your breadcrumbs and start by mixing together using a fork before finishing off combining the ingredients using your hands to form a ball of pastry

3) Chill your pastry for 30 minutes

4) To make the jam tarts preheat your oven to 180  C/ 160  Fan/ Gas mark 4 and grease a muffin/cupcake tin or tins depending on how many tarts you're making

5) Roll your pastry out on a flat surface to approximately 3mm thick, you may need to dust your surface and rolling pin with flour to prevent the pastry from sticking and braking

6) Use a cutter to cut out circles for your jam tarts

7) Fill your pastry cases with jam/jelly, I used about 2 tsp of jelly per tart but this will vary depending on the size of your cases. The cases should be about 3/4 worth full of filling. Enough so that when the jam melts it fills the case without overflowing

8) Bake the tarts for around 15 minutes and remove from the tins once the pastry appears crisp and golden

9) Allow to cool in the tins for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire wrack to cool

So there you have it - easy. These are really easy and quick to make and require very little skill. They are a certain crowd pleaser that will make everyone smile as they are taken back to their childhood. I forgot how nice jam tarts are. The pastry is really nice and crisp - not soggy there were definitely no soggy bottoms involved. I personally enjoyed eating these whilst they were still slightly warm as the pastry just melts in your mouth and the filling wasn't too jelly like, it is just a magical combination. I would also recommend using blackberry jelly as it's very fitting for this time of year and the colour just looks beautiful. They look like jewels in a tin. Thank you for reading this blog post my lovelies and you can't deny it, I bet inside you're all secretly thinking you could do with a jam tart now.

XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...