Tuesday 11 August 2015

The Great Blogging Bake Off: Raspberry And Almond Madera Cake









Good afternoon my lovelies and a Happy Tuesday to you all. Today’s post features the first addition to a new series that I am creating on my blog that I am calling ‘The Great Blogging Bake Off’. At this point if you have already guessed what this series will be related to and inspired by then ten brownie points for you and a whopping great big gold star.  A few clues for you: it involves baking once a week with a different theme each week inspired by two celebrity bakers. Yes you guessed it – The Great British Bake Off has returned to our screens for series six which fills me with so much excitement I feel as if I could burst. I have been waiting for the return of this show since the last series ended for my baking fix. I have religiously watched every series and it is always on repeat in our household. It’s the show that everybody and their mother and their mother’s dog have been talking about and it seems to take over the nation with a toxic baking wave.  Luckily the baking god’s have honoured us with another series sill featuring Mary, Paul, Mel and Sue, which is a magical combination.


As I have mentioned on my blog previously I have a very strong passion for baking of which I bake at least once a week to satisfy my baking craving.  I don’t publish all my bakes but I don’t want to swamp you all to death with cake. Each week after each episode I thought I would put my spin on the show by having a go at each weeks signature challenge and what better way to start off then with week 1 – cakes. Cakes are my favourite things to bake and this week’s signature challenge involved baking a madeira cake. Ever since I was little I have loved eating madeira cake as when I was little as in 3 – 4 I didn’t like icing and I only really liked plain sponges so madeira cake was perfect to feed me and shut me up as my Mum raced round doing the Tesco food shop. Having said that I have never attempted baking one so I was really chuffed with week ones challenge. I always thought Madeira cakes were supposed to just simply be a plain vanilla loaf sponge so the fact that these were all different flavours and shapes boggled me. I’ve always thought that Raspberries and almonds is an amazing combination and always a personal favourite of mine so I thought why not throw them in for my spin on the classic madeira cake. I baked this cake with my mum which was really nice as we never normally get a chance to do baking together any more but when I was younger we always did cooking and baking together so it was really nice and just like taking a trip down memory lane.


Ingredients

- 175g butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 3 eggs
- 50g flaked almonds
- 100g plain flour
- 100g self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp milk
- 200g fresh raspberries

Method

1) Grease your loaf tin and line it with grease proof paper. We cut the paper leaving you with two ‘handles which in theory should help you to take the cake out of the loaf tin once baked

2) Preheat the oven to 160°C/ 140°Fan/ gas mark 3

3) Cream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl, you want to do this until you are left with a light, fluffy and pale mixture

4) Beat in the almond extract which oh my it smells so good, you need to spend a good five minutes just appreciating the smell

5) Add all but a small handful of the flaked almonds to your batter and lightly fold these in

6) In a separate bowl, beat your eggs together with a fork lightly

7) Add half of the beaten eggs to your cake mixture and beat in, don’t worry if the mixture curdles this will be resolved once you add the flour

8) Sift in both types of the flour together followed by the remaining egg mixture and fold all of the mixture together. It may look lumpy at first but don’t worry if you continue to lightly fold all of the ingredients together it will resemble cake mixture. To fold you don’t want to violently and heavily beat the mixture, you lightly fold the ingredients together incorporating the ingredients around the edge and through the middle which will combine the mixture whilst leaving air bubbles to help the cake rise and it will also leave you with a light textured sponge

9) Fold in the milk followed by all of the raspberries minus a small handful. Again you want to be gentle whilst folding the fruit in so you don’t crush the raspberries, which would leave you with a pink, speckled like sponge. The aim is to keep the raspberries whole

10) Pour the mixture into your loaf tin and decorate with the remaining almonds and raspberries on top

11) Bake in the oven for an hour and a half, this slow bake ensures the cake is fully cooked without burning

12) Once baked and a skewer once inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean, remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.

You could serve this cake served with a vanilla cream or ice-cream and fresh raspberries or just simply on it’s own. I can’t express how good the almond smell is once you remove the cake from the oven.  It’s a really easy recipie and the cake is so worth the wait so I can strongly suggest that you have a go at this one, it’s a gooden.

Thank you for reading my blog post my lovelies. Let me know in the comments if you attempt baking the madeira cake and feel free to send me some pictures. Also let me know if you join me in my ‘Great Blogging Bake Off’, I would love to know what you attempt each week for your signature challenge. It might give me some more inspiration and ideas as there is so much potential out there for different flavour combinations. I shall see you at some point next week for week two which is going to be biscuit week. After the next episode which I hope you all have marked and underlined in your diaries for 8pm tomorrow night I shall have to put my thinking cap on once we know what this week’s signature bake will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...