Monday 20 July 2015

OOTD - A Spontaneous London Visit 18/07/15

Hello my lovelies, I have another OOTD post for you all today; I very rarely write these so two consecutive posts is quite rare for me. If you read my last blog post you will know that I had an amazing trip to London with my Mum nearly two weeks ago. We loved it so much we decided to have another spontaneous trip to London. Well we thought why not as the weather was gorgeous and we very rarely have time off work at the same time so it would be rude not to make the most of it. I love blogging about London, it is my favourite city to visit as there is so much to see and take in no visit is ever the same. I love exploring new areas that I haven't seen before. As we went to the theatre last time to see Les Mis we stayed around Green Park, Hyde Park, Covent Garden, Leicester Square and Piccadilly so this time we thought we would focus around the South Bank. Again I thought I would combine this post as an outfit of the day and what we got up to kinda thing for those of you who are interested. 

What I wore:
Jacket - New Look
Dress - Boohoo
Sandals - New Look 
Bag - Accessorize 
Belt - Boohoo
Sunglasses - Topshop
Nail Polish - Accessorize Orchid 

We went up to London last Saturday and arrived late morning. I still can't get over how lucky we were with the weather as recently it has just been grey, drizzle all day yet we still managed to have warm bright sunshine all day. I had been constantly checking my phone at least 4/5 times a day over the past week to make sure that the weather forecast was still saying sun for Saturday as I was determined it would be a nice day. I'm someone whose mood is affected by the weather so I get weirdly obsessed over it. I think it's because you get vitamin D from the sun which can have a real positive effect on peoples moods. 

We had planned to got to the Bluebird Cafe in Chelsea for coffee but Victoria was absolutely packed and seeing as it was a Saturday we abandoned that idea in case there was no where to sit. I love walking around Chelsea, it's really pretty and I love imagining what it would be like to live there. Also, I am not ashamed to admit this but I am a massive Made In Chelsea Fan and currently missing my weekly fix. It is also my Mum's new guilty pleasure that I have introduced her to. So we thought we'd save it for another time maybe when it's quieter in the winter and we can act like a couple of giggly school girls if we happen to 'stalk' I mean 'bump into' some of the cast. The decision to abandon Chelsea was also strongly influenced by the fact there were delays on the Circle and District lines and everything we had planned to visit that day involved the Circle line so we thought sod it, we'll walk it. To be honest sometimes it's quicker to walk it anyway by the time you have found your ticket, got on the tube, changed and worked your way back up it's a lot less hassle to walk. Also seeing as the weather was so nice we thought we'd make the most of it. You also discover more things by walking for example, from Victoria we decided to go to St. James park as I had never been there before and we stumbled across Scotland Yard as you do so that was definitely worth a tourist shot. 


A late morning coffee was definitely needed so we stopped off at Cafe Nero for a well needed caffeine fix with my new obsession of a Vanilla Latte and a cheeky sweet treat to keep us going. We found a nice route to St. James Park which may now be my new favourite park that I've discovered in London - bold statement I know. It's really pretty with the lake running through it and you can find some nice sheltered spots. It's a really 'green' park for London if that makes any sense. You also get some good views there with Buckingham Palace, Big Ben and the London Eye. How I hadn't been there before I don't know. We brought some sandwiches and had a picnic in the park - I don't know why it sounds simple I know and most people will have done this thousands of times and wouldn't think anything to it but I have always wanted to have a picnic in one of the London parks - it's the little things in life.





Whilst sitting in the park we saw that there was the changing of the Guards - again something I hadn't seen before. Although this time there was a strange twist on it with there being children instead of the usual guards. They were really good and had some very enthusiastic marching going on. 


After a little de-tour we walked on down towards the Thames, passing Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament as you do. Seeing as we were having a spontaneous outing we thought we would carry on being spontaneous and go on the London Eye. I had been on the Eye previously twice before but I was quite young at the time and I couldn't really remember it. I recon it's just one of those things that everyone has to do at least once in their lifetime. Pictures can't demonstrate the amazing views you get on the Eye it's something you have to see in person. Just looking out over London is incredible as sometimes I forget how big London really is. 



Seeing as we were avoiding the tube we carried on walking East towards St. Paul's Cathedral as again that's another place I had never been before. Whilst walking we stumbled across the ITV studios, the Savoy and Victoria Gardens which were really pretty. 


After a quick pit stop in Cafe Rouge we explored St.Paul's which was breathtaking. I wish we could have taken pictures of it inside as the design and scale of it is incredible and practically impossible to put into words. It's so weird to think that, that is where Prince Charles got married. I'm not usually one for visiting museums and cathedrals but this is still a must to see. Whilst there we walked up to the whispering gallery which was over 250 steps which didn't sound like loads of steps to me at the time but it felt like it towards the end. You could have gone higher but I'm not a massive fan of heights and confined spaces so we abandoned that idea but the scenery is honestly incredible and it makes people look like ants who are lower down. 


After St. Paul's we walked across the Millennium Bridge as you do where we walked passed the Tate Modern and Shakespeare Globe - again all things I had never seen before, I felt like the day should have been called 'Educating Ellie'. We wanted to look around the Globe but I think they were getting ready for a performance. 


We carried on walking along the Embankment passing London Bridge. Previously I had seen the East side of Tower Bridge around HMS Belfast but not to the West of it. There is a really nice 'food area' with lots of nice restaurants to discover around the back of London Bridge and the Embankment where we plumped for Jamie's Italian - somewhere neither of us had been before but both really wanted to try. I love Italian food I could quite happily live off it, in fact I do to be honest, any Mediterranean food from France, Spain, Italy or Greece is right up my street. The restaurant looked so pretty the way there were vines growing up the building it looked really inviting. After a cheeky glass of wine Mum plumped for a truffle risotto which looked incredible and I had the gnocchi which was amazing, 100% recommend both of those options. I couldn't not include pictures of the deserts as Oh My they were to die for, we didn't care we were full we just couldn't say no. I had the warm chocolate brownie with caramel popcorn, vanilla ice cream and chocolate fudge sauce whilst Mum went for the lemon meringue cheesecake. Both were gorgeous and the only downside is now we both want to go back to keep trying more and more dishes - sorry bank accounts. 




I hope you enjoyed reading this blog post seeing what we got up to in London. By avoiding the tube we ended up walking over eight and a half miles which sounds quite impressive but it's so easily done in London as it's so big. We only got the tube from London Bridge back to Victoria as after our day walking and a big meal theres no way we were going to walk that one so I was happy as I got my little tube fix - I'm honestly like a kid I don't know why I love the tube so much. I hope you all have good days my lovelies and your Monday mornings are at least bearable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...