Friday 25 March 2016

Mocha Cake (GF)





Hello my lovelies and a Happy Good Friday to you. I have a lovely indulgent recipe for you all today that will even satisfy the fellow coffee addicts among you all. It was my Mum's birthday on Monday and I asked her what sort of birthday cake she would like. Just like me she loves coffee and chocolate so we plumped for a mocha cake. I found the recipe from an American blog hence why the ingredients are all in cup sizes. We brought ourselves some really pretty cup measurers to use in baking which I have been dying to use so I have been secretly hoping for a recipe using cup measurements.

The recipe is also gluten free and I have found that gluten free cakes can be gorgeous and lighter then cakes that contain gluten. I am all for gluten free. The mixture itself is more like a batter and very runny and moose like. Once baked the house smells incredible, a big chocolate and coffee factory. I'm not one to float my own trumpet but this was honestly the lightest and moistest cakes that I have ever baked or eaten. I can't believe how much the cakes rose. I thought that they might deflate whilst cooking but they didn't. I recon that's down to the recipe and not me but I am so proud of it. Me and my Mum both loved it and I don't think it will last long in this household.

Ingredients

1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup of hot coffee
1 cup of milk
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup light brown muscovado sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/3 cup corn starch
1/4 cup sorghum flour
1 tsp xantham gum
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Mocha Buttercream:
30ml of coffee
30g unsalted butter
30g cocoa powder
500g icing sugar

dark chocolate coffee beans for decoration

Method

1) Preheat your oven to 180°C/ 160°Fan and grease and line two 20cm cake tins

2) Mix together your cocoa powder and coffee

3) In a separate bowl sift together your remaining dry ingredients of the white rice flour, potato starch, corn starch, sorghum flour, xantham powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda

3) In another bowl, beat together your butter and sugars until light, pale and fluffy

4) Gradually beat in your eggs one at a time to the sugar and butter mixture alongside the vanilla extract

5) Add your milk to your cocoa and coffee mixture

6) Add half of your sifted ingredients to the butter mixture and fold the ingredients into your mixture using a metal spoon

7) Stir in your cocoa, coffee and milk followed by the remaining dry ingredients

8) Once all of the ingredients have been fully incorporated, evenly divide the cake mix between your two cake tins

9) Bake the cakes for 30 mins, you know the cakes are cooked when a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of each cake. The sponges will also spring back if you press lightly in the centre of each cake

10) Leave the cakes to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire wrack to finish cooling completely

11) Whilst the cakes are cooling you can start to make your mocha butter cream

12) Beat your butter with a wooden spoon to soften it

13) Sift in your cocoa powder and a portion of icing sugar along with a drop of coffee. I don't believe in set instructions for buttercream I believe it's more of a case of judging it by eye. You should continue to beat in your icing sugar and coffee to the mixture until you are happy with the quantity and consistency. Be prepared to be flexible

14) Use half of the buttercream to sandwich the cakes together and the remaining half for icing the top of the cake

15) To finish the cake I used coffee flavoured dark chocolate in the shape of coffee beans for a sleek finish

I hope you enjoyed reading this recipe my lovelies. I would love to know in the comments if you have ago at making this cake. I hope you all have a magical Easter weekend. I hope chocolate also features heavily in your weekend as well!

XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...