Tuesday 1 September 2015

August Favourites 2015


Holy Moly I cannot quite believe that I am writing this post but apparently so as it is currently the first of September - goodbye Summer and hello Autumn. Another month and another monthly favourites post. Looking at the products that I have selected for August there is definitely a summer feel towards them. Although there are signs that Autumn is on it's way. One - this disgusting torrential rain, two - it's darker and colder outside and three being the return of X Factor and as soon as that starts you know that you're practically on the count down to Christmas. I have worked in retail this past year and the fact that a couple of weeks ago we were bringing out our Christmas cards and crackers just boggles me. It's like you see back to school adverts on TV before the kids have even had a chance to break up from school for their holidays. I'm sure as you get older time goes faster.

Pink Grapefruit and Basil Shower Gel By Radox
I mentioned a similar product to this in my June favourites post which was the tangerine edition of the Radox shower gels. I'm sure that if you live in the UK you will have seen the Radox shower gels on offer over the summer in the majority of super markets and beauty stores such as Boots or Superdrug. I remember back in June having a naughty Boots splurge after being in need of some retail therapy when I purchased this. I was caught out queuing for the till where they always have all of these great deals in troughs which they make it really difficult to say no to and you find your hands overloaded with added extras you didn't really need. The Radox shower gels were on offer for £1 each and I thought well bargain. Seeing as I had already spent too much I thought another £2 won't hurt. This is very bad life advise please listen and don't copy or repeat, try to do the opposite and save money. To be fair though there is always a need for shower gel and it will always come in so you might as well purchase it whilst it's on offer right? Enough of my guilty conscience but if you happen to be queuing and you see this glaring at you I would recommend you give it a good sniff as it honestly smells incredible. I wouldn't describe it as a strong grapefruit smell which I can sometimes find too much but I think that the basil makes it sweeter and slightly more floral. It just smells so refreshing and perfect for a morning shower to wake you up leaving you feel refreshed reducing the need for a morning coffee.

Summer Pink Lipstick By Maybelline 
This isn't a new edition to my collection it was one that I picked up last summer yet it has made a reappearance for this summer. It is a really pretty metallic pink shade that looks natural on your lips just giving you that extra bit if colour to brighten your lips. I really like the Maybelline lipsticks, I love the formulation as they are really creamy and moisturising so they don't dry your lips out. They also have a coconut scent to them which is an immediate winner with me as of those of you who regularly follow my blog will know that I have a very strong love for coconut going on right now, in terms of food and beauty products. Normally I would avoid metallic lipsticks like the plague as I would normally find them to look glittery and grainy yet the metallic just makes these lipsticks appear really shinny without looking thick and glossy. I love the different ranges of pink shades that Maybelline sell and if you prefer more of a subtle pink then I would deffinetly recommend that you check out their collection. I alternate between different shades over the different seasons yet Summer Pink has been one that I have turned to the most over summer and the previous month.

Brown Eyeshadow Pencil By Barry M
Lip crayons were my obsession last summer and this summer it has been eye crayons. Who knows what it will be next year, possibly concealer crayons or who knows bronzer or blusher crayons may be brought out. I have loved using this dark brown shade in the outer corner of my eyes for some very quick early morning contouring. When I'm rushing to get ready for work I can't be bothered to fath about too much applying different eyeshadows and blending them together. Don't get me wrong when I've got more time I love doing my make-up properly but when I'm pushed for time, this has been my cheats way to contouring. I have been applying an iridescent pink cream eyeshadow all over my lid and then roughly smudging some of the brown crayon in the outer corner of my eye lids and blending it out with my ring finger. I find this gives a more natural and smokey eye make-up look and it literally only takes 30 seconds - perfect. I wouldn't recommend applying one of these all over your lid as they are more chalky then creamy which I have found can look a little streaky yet they are perfect for a little bit of cheats contouring.

Strawberry Body Sorbet By The Body Shop
Body sorbets have been my summer obsession of 2015. I picked up two of the body sorbets at the end of last summer, a strawberry and mango. I liked them yet I wasn't overwhelmed with them at the time. Some times I'm a sucker for routine and I just got stuck using the body butters and never really branched out of my comfort zone yet I am so, so glad I rediscovered these this year. The body sorbets have a more oil to cream formulation and they are filled with air pockets which melt and absorb into your skin. I have been applying this after a bath or shower usually twice a day in the morning and evening. I started using these again when we had the band of crazy hot weather for the UK when it was over 30 degrees every day. I was using these as an alternative to aftersun as I was in the process of moving house and couldn't find the aftersun or a lot of other things for that matter so this was me improvising. The sorbets feel so cooling and moisturising on your skin yet they absorb instantly without leaving you stood there naked in your room feeling sticky and unable to move. I also think by using the sorbets I have moisturised my skin a lot more this summer which is only a positive and it has helped my tan to last just that little bit longer. I have always been a sucker for The Body Shop and the strawberry scent has always and will always by a strong favourite of mine. It is really refreshing and summery and who doesn't instantly think of British Summertime at the smell of fresh strawberries?

The Righteous Body Butter By Soap And Glory 
Along with me branching out into body sorbets I have also been branching out and using body moisturisers that aren't from The Body Shop - I have no idea what has come over me this summer. I was stocking up on Soap And Glory goodies with my Mum last month when we realised if we spent over £10 we would also get a free tub of the body butter so we thought well it would be rude not to make use of that amazing offer seeing as these are usually over £10 anyway - theres logic there somewhere I'm sure. Yes these are usually very expensive just for a tub of body butter but my oh my do you get your moneys worth with these. The tubs are gigantic whoppers and will almost last you a life time. I find the actual tub quite satisfying to open, yes I know it's the small things in life that count. This has a gorgeous summery scent combining fresh aloe vera with nourishing cocoa butter for that little bit of sweetness and sugar. The actual moisturiser is really nourishing and absorbs into your skin really quickly a lot faster then the body butters from The Body Shop may I add. I usually use this after shaving leaving my skin feeling super soft and silky. Unfortunately I have loved using this and would use it again which means I will want to buy more and they're not the cheapest of moisturisers yet they are so, so worth it.

I hope you enjoyed reading this blog post my lovelies. Let me know what products you have loved using this past month or just generally over summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...