Monday 29 February 2016

Lemon, Polenta and Almond Cookies





Hello my lovelies and a Happy Leap Year Day to you all! It's strange when ever I think of it to be a leap year the first thing that pops into my head is the fact that the Olympics will be running this year. I personally love watching the Olympics it seems to take over my life in the summer. It's the only type of sport I enjoy watching other then Wimbledon.

Ramble aside I have a new recipe for you all today. Recently it has started to feel a little more Spring like. Hallelujah. The spring bulbs are thriving and are full of colour and hope. I don't know why but I thing of lemons to be a spring like ingredient. Maybe because they are bright, colourful and refreshing. I love polenta cake and I recently saw a recipe combining lemon, polenta and almonds which are some of my favourite ingredients so I thought why not try a twist on the staple cake and try turning it into a cookie.

These cookies are really quick and easy to make and they also taste really light and refreshing. They have that staple cookie characteristic of a crisp edge and a lovely gooey centre. These are great to have in the biscuit tin and something that all of the family could enjoy baking together.

Ingredients - makes 18

75g polenta
25g rice flour
25g ground almonds
1/2 tsp baking powder
75g icing sugar
50g butter
1 egg yolk
grated rind of one lemon
25g flaked almonds

Method

1) Add the polenta, flour, ground almonds, baking powder and icing sugar into a large bowl

2) Cube the butter into small pieces and add to the large bowl. Rub the ingredients together in between your fingertips gently to form fine breadcrumbs

3) Add a beaten egg yolk and lemon rind to the bowl. Combine the ingredients together using your hands to form a dough

4) Wrap the dough in cling film and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes

5) Preheat your oven to 180°C/ 160°Fan and grease and line two baking trays

6) Roll out your biscuit dough on a lightly floured surface and use a cookie cutter to cut out your biscuits. These could be any shape and size you like but I went for a traditional round cutter

7) Top your cookies with flaked almonds and bake in the oven for 8 minutes

8) Once golden and crisp remove the cookies from the oven and allow to crisp on the baking trays for 5 minutes before transferring the cookies to a wire wrack to cool completely

I hope you enjoyed this quick and easy baking recipe my lovelies. Let me know in the comments if you chose to give these a try. These could be a great biscuit to have in the house for Mother's Day if you feel inspired to bake.

XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...